Robotic Software Intern/Co-op (Summer 2024)
Rugged Robotics is on a mission to empower the construction industry to build better by innovating new approaches to tough problems using automation. We are a fast-paced start-up environment where every employee takes on multiple roles and wears many hats. To help our customers to build better, we need to build the best team.
The software team at Rugged Robotics is responsible for prototyping, developing, and implementing software solutions that power the automation of our construction layout robots. As a Robotics Software Intern working on robots at a start-up, you will be solving problems and improving functionality on real-world products while also creating innovative solutions for our next generation of robots.
Internship / Coop Term: Summer 2023 (3 months starting in May)
Location: Onsite in Houston, TX
- Iteratively prototype and test software directly on hardware platforms in our labs and on our customer’s jobsites.
- Write the code that improves the speed, precision, and reliability of our current robotic platform by investigating, modifying and refining existing system kinematics, algorithms, and software features.
- Quickly generate prototypes and proof-of-concept algorithms while collaborating with team-members in the field to troubleshoot, diagnose, determine the root-cause, and implement solutions to issues discovered on deployment.
- Make informed & objective engineering decisions by creating simulations, methodically running experiments, and conducting analyses with a range of techniques.
- Experienced working with software and electromechanical systems from a prior internship, extra-curricular project, or lab research.
- Knowledgeable with relevant areas of robotics & control such as kinematics, sensor fusion, path planning, perception, calibration algorithms, and firmware development.
- Comfortable with development on hardware systems including ROS, Python, C++ and familiar with common coding practices including revision control and CI/CM
- Hands-on with deploying code on physical hardware and root causing bugs related to mechanical, electrical, and software issues.
- Enthusiastic about learning new techniques & technologies and are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Rugged Robotics is headquartered in Houston, TX in the vibrant neighborhood of East Downtown. This role requires close collaboration with teammates, and we value the interactions that come from working together around the robots in the lab.
Interested in Rugged Robotics but don't tick all the boxes? Don't see a role that meets your skills? Reach out, let us know how you think you can contribute to the team, and define your own position.
Rugged Robotics is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we value diversity at our company. All qualified candidates will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, identity, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or other protected legal status.